Sunday, April 5, 2009

The power of NOS

When I first started flying the Rifter, my skills were so low I had problems with all aspects of fighting: from warping around the solar systems and catching targets to tracking and hitting them. Even when I knew what to do, I often couldn't. To remedy that, I made improving those skills a priority. After my damage potential improved, the buffer tank became the problem - I only had a limited time until I had to run (or die). When I could fit an active tank, the capacitor became the bottle neck - the pulsing of the armor repairer is practically an art form :) I decided to try using an energy vampire to remedy that, which required another week of training so I could fit it on my Rifter. Finally, I could use the NOS - I fitted it to the ship and embarked on a voyage to Molden Heath low-sec to test it out.

After some uneventful scouting, I hit paydirt: first a 2 versus 1 with two Rifters (first, second) in Heild, and then I found a Mackinaw mining an ice belt. The NOS gave me confidence against his drones; my previous experience has taught me to keep a scramble and orbit around the main targets while I web and pop the drones one by one. Despite my armour getting critically low at one point, additional capacitor energy I was able to syphon from the target enabled me to repair the damage. After the drones were down, I opened a conversation with the mining pilot and ransomed him for 40 million ISK - doubling the ammount in my wallet and recouping all the costs I had buying and fitting my Rifters.


Mackinaw mining barge
(image courtesy of EVE wiki)

The day finished with a consensual fight with another Rifter in my home system. As he had only Tech 1 guns fitted, the extra range afforded to me by Barrage proved decisive and his ship went up in a cloud of smoke.

My successes with the NOS Rifter boosted my confidence and I engaged a Cyclone battlecruiser today; the fight was long and at moments it was touch and go, especially when the BC used his afterburner and web to increase distance while I was busy webbing and killing his drones and a volley wiped out half of my armour - but after 17,500 of damage, I won and chalked up my first BC kill.

Cyclone battlecruiser
(image courtesy of EVE wiki)


I'm so satisfied with the way my Rifter handles that, for the first time in a month, I'm back to studying learning skills. I think my next learning challenge will be overheating - it's just so useful.

Here is the fit of my NOS Rifter (cca 7M ISK in value) - try it out and tell me what you think!


[Rifter, Rifter PVP Active AB NOS]
Small Armor Repairer II
Damage Control II
200mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I

Monopropellant I Hydrazine Boosters
X5 Prototype I Engine Enervator
J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I

150mm Light AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP S
150mm Light AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP S
150mm Light AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP S
E5 Prototype Energy Vampire

[empty rig slot]
[empty rig slot]
[empty rig slot]

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a great time in the Rifter and that's a very solid fit. Personally I go for the extra DPS from a rocket launcher over the NOS. It probably just a matter of taste, though. I tend to prefer more damage to more tank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Wensley,

    thanks for your comment, always great to hear from you :)

    I think this is a classic gank or tank dilemma. The damage control and NOS give me a bit of a buffer zone - the all-gank setup is very dependant on skillful piloting and I know I'm not there yet. I think in time, I may overcome the need for my blanket :)

    ReplyDelete