Monday, March 23, 2009

Hide and seek

It's been a fun couple of weeks. I really enjoy the "jump in ship, make a sweep, kill, dock, log-off" aspect of belt piracy - no numbing missions and no corp hassle.

My skills have markedly improved in the last few weeks - finishing Minmatar Frigate V was really worth it, both for the extra damage and for the extra tracking. I've also changed from a buffer tank to an active one - while fitting a bigger plate does bring hit-point benefits, it's a drag having to repair after each fight. I've also swapped the Microwarp drive for an Afterburner, as I have found it to be much, much better in practically every circumstance, except quickly closing in on a target. However, the difference is not that great - and the ability to dictate range in all fights, which the AB provides me, is invaluable.

My score is currently 11 kills and 4 losses - all but one solo kills. My victims include a Stabber, a Rupture and an Ishkur - I've even boldly taken on a Hurricane battlecruiser yesterday and would have had him, had one of the belt rats not turned his attention to me.

All these fights have taught me the basic algorithm of Rifter combat:
if (victim=frigate) then use Barrage, set orbit=6000;
if (victim > frigate) then use RF EMP S, set orbit = 500;

That's pretty much it, range and ammo-wise. EMP has proven to be an extremely versatile ammo, which works well against both shield and armor tanked opponents - and, for somebody still confused by the many ship types and their typical loadouts like me, that is especially helpful.

I'm currently working on the skills to use an energy vampire. The DPS from the rocket launcher is minimal (10 DPS), and some extra capacitor for the Small armor repairer II would come in handy, especially when fighting bigger ships. We'll see if it works!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you killed an Ishkur?! Great work. Glad to see you rocking the Rifter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had some help with that one, a buddy in another Rifter :) but managed to take down 6 of his Hobgoblin II drones and I think I might have had him eventually even solo.

    I love the Rifter - it's an amazing ship, and the lower level of complexity (no drones, limited modules) makes it a great ship for learning.

    Thanks for reading & commenting!

    ReplyDelete